If you are planning to remodel your kitchen for the first time, you need to think about what it will look like once it is done. As kitchen renovations demand a lot of preparation and effort, there are certain mistakes you must avoid. Proper planning is crucial as it can save you time and money, so do not rush. In this blog post, you will learn the common blunders which renovators make in the kitchen.
Kitchen Renovation Mistakes to Avoid
1. Overspending: The first step in kitchen renovation is to set a budget. Do not overspend on items which you will use much. Instead, stay within your budget and leave money left over, as renovations come with the risk of sudden additional expenditures.
2. Hiring the cheapest contractor: In order to stick to your budget, you may be tempted to choose the least expensive contractor for your kitchen renovation project. But remember that you get what you pay for, and the cheapest contractors often do not have the experience or proficiency of higher-priced renovators. You don’t have to hire the most experienced contractor, but be aware of the services they offer and at what price. Also, get item details on every estimate you get from a contractor. That way you can avoid additional costs which some contractors only let you know about once they start work.
3. Selecting the wrong kitchen flooring: Consider your lifestyle before you choose your kitchen flooring. For instance, avoid hardwood flooring if you have cats or dogs as they will likely scratch the wood and deteriorate its look. Your little ones can also be a menace to wooden floors. Ceramic tile is a better choice as it is scratch resistant and easy to clean.
4. Not following the work triangle: Do not break up the ‘work triangle’ as it makes cooking less efficient. While working in the kitchen, you may need to shift the sink, stove, and refrigerator. Check to make sure they are in a triangular position when you reposition them. This is fundamental to kitchen design and makes food preparation simpler.
5. Insufficient cabinet and counter space: When it comes to kitchen renovations, make sure you have enough cabinet and counter space. Not doing so will complicate cooking and meal preparation. Having more cabinets or a pantry gives you additional storage in which to store small appliances. It also helps keep your kitchen clutter-free and boosts its functionality.
6. Excessive focus on trends: Never go overboard with popular kitchen renovation trends as styles change frequently. If you decorate your kitchen in the most recent style, it will likely seem outdated in a few years and maybe prompt another makeover. Don’t totally ignore current kitchen renovation trends, but it is advisable to not upgrade in such a way that it’s difficult to remodel your kitchen later.
To get the kitchen renovation you want, avoid the mistakes mentioned above. Hire a good kitchen renovation company, and be active throughout the process. Remember that you are the one in control, even if you have hired professionals to do the work for you. When you finish your dream kitchen, make the most of it.